Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Declare His power to the next generation! - October 11th, 2011

17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
your mighty acts to all who are to come.
Psalm 71:17-18

History and Context:
The Psalms are a collection of old hymns which the Jews used to bring praise and worship to Yahweh. Most of them were written by King David, but there were also other contributors and a few, like this one, have unknown authors. This psalmist has written a psalm to testify about God's faithfulness and how He has stayed with the psalmist all of his life. He also asks God to stay with him through his old age in the same way He stayed with him through his youth.

The Text:
Yesterday we discussed the responsibility young men and women have to draw counsel out of the older and wiser. As mentioned in that post, I believe we as younger men and women often forget our responsibility and wait for someone to come around to mentor us. That being said, we can see through this passage, as well as many others in the Bible, that there is a responsibility on the part of the older as well. The psalmist pleads to God to not forsake him even when he is "old and gray" because he wants to declare God's power to the next generation. No matter how old we are, we have a responsibility to declare God's power and greatness to the generation after us. The Bible shows a communal aspect in bringing up youth and children. As the Body of Christ it is everyone's job to work together to raise the youth and children in Christ. Often this is done through mentorship.

The Challenge:
I believe strongly that everyone trying to follow Christ should have someone over them, training them and discipling them, as we talked about yesterday, and someone under them that they are growing and discipling. If you are doing nothing to grow and disciple the generation after you it is time for you to find someone to mentor. Pray and ask God who it should be. Then seek God for a plan in how it should happen. We must declare the power of God to the next generation!

The Prayer:
Lord, send me the person or people that you want me to mentor. Give me opportunities to share what you have shared with me. Thank you Lord! In Jesus' name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment