Friday, June 24, 2011

Trust in the Lord! - June 24th, 2011

As for me, I will call upon God,
And the LORD shall save me.
Evening and morning and at noon
I will pray, and cry aloud,
And He shall hear my voice.
He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me,
For there were many against me.
Psalm 55:16-18

 
History and Context:
Psalm 55 is a psalm of supplication from King David to God. We do not know the exact situation surrounding him at the time in which he wrote this, but it is clear that it was one of the many times in which David was facing enemies with seemingly insurmountable odds. What did David do? He sought God for help. Constantly David found himself in these situations, and he constantly sought God, and God constantly rescued him. Of course the first, and most famous, of these situations was when he fought and killed Goliath.

The Text:
In this particular passage David shows the confidence he had that God would help him. "And the LORD shall save me." He is certain of safety in the Lord. He is certain, partially, because God had came through in his life so often before. David knew that if God did it all of those times in the past, then God would do it again. He also says that he continues to call on the Lord at all times of the day. This shows that he doesn't only call on God when he is in trouble. There is a confidence there because he knows he has a relationship with God beyond his troubles.

The Challenge:
Be encouraged! Trust in the Lord! Learn from David's example. Sometimes it may seem that people are against you on all sides, but God is for you! If "God is for you then who can be against you"? If you are in trouble call on Him. You don't have to solve it on your own, just call on Him, ask for His help, and He will come through.

The Prayer:
Lord, help me! Help me with the troubles in my life. I don't want to do it on my own anymore, help me. I know that you will come through for me whenever I call on you. So I call on you Lord. Thank you for always being there for me! I love you Lord. In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment