Sunday, July 24, 2011

An Easier Way! - July 24th, 2011

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

History and Context:
This is of course is Jesus speaking in the Gospel according to Matthew. The Gospel of Matthew doesn't actually identify it's author in the text, but various early church writings have referred to "Matthew's Gospel" leading us to believe that this was written by Matthew the tax collector and disciple of Jesus. What is clear is that Matthew was written by a Jew to the Jews. One of the main points of Matthew's Gospel was to show how Jesus fulfilled the various Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament.

The Text:
Jesus uses the example of a yoke. A yoke is a long wooden beam which is used to connect oxen to a load which they have to pull. It usually would also connect two or more oxen together in order to help them share the load. Jesus is inviting everyone who is carrying a heavy load to come to Him and let Him take it for them. He then says that His load is easy and light. This invitation comes directly after a statement that the only people who can 'know the Father' are the ones who the 'Son' wills to do so. Jesus said that He is the only one that can decide who gets to know the Father and directly after He gives an open invitation to all who are "weary and heavy laden". I believe He is making a point that He wills all to know the Father, all to be free of their heavy loads.

The Challenge:
Are you tired? Do you feel like you have a large load on your shoulders? Whether you have accepted Christ or not, if this describes you, you are not living the way Christ wants you to live. He wants us to be free of our own loads and our own baggage. In fact He wants to be free so much that He has already taken it on Himself, we just need to let go. So come to Jesus! Let go of your baggage! It's your choice to do so or not. It's your choice to live tired and weary, or to live with strength and excitement.

The Prayer:
Lord, take this load from me. I don't want to carry it anymore. Free me from my baggage and give me new strength, new energy. Give me your burden which I know is easy and your yoke which I know is light. Fill me with your spirit and help me to let go of this burden that I have held so long. In Jesus' name, Amen!

2 comments:

  1. This is such an important point for us to know. We don't have to do it on our own. We have God and especially during those harder times it is great having his power in our lives. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is easy to get caught up in an attitude of independence, especially in our society. We think that if we want it to be worth something we have to do it without anyone's help, but it is worth so much more when we are dependent on God and allow His power to work in us.

    ReplyDelete