Monday, July 18, 2011

How can a young man cleanse his way? - July 18th, 2011

How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
Blessed are You, O LORD!
Teach me Your statutes.
Psalm 119:9-12

History and Context:
Psalm 119 is by far the longest chapter in the Bible. It is seperated into 22 parts, one for each letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The author of the psalm is unknown but there are multiple themes throughout the poem. Most prevalent is the aspect of delighting in the Word of God.

The Text:
The Psalmist hear begins with a question; "How can a young man cleanse his way?" English Standard Version says; "How can a young man keep his way pure?" The psalmist is asking how we can walk in purity and then he answers his own question; by walking according to the Word. He shows us that there is a direct correlation between knowing and walking according to the Word and walking in purity. There is a direct correlation between knowing the Word of God and not sinning. How do I keep from sinning? By hiding the Word of God in my heart! Later in this passage the psalmist writes that he will declare the Word with his mouth and that he will meditate on God's laws. These are the keys to staying pure, to not sinning.

The Challenge:
Again, to stop sinning, we have to stop focusing on the sin. Shift your focus to the Word of God. So many Christians are struggling and fighting not to sin, yet they never read the Word of God. It is no wonder that there fight seems never ending. Focus on studying and meditating on the Word of God and your mind won't even think to sin. Speak out His Word until you believe it, then when you do believe it keep speaking it out so you never stop believing! Take a passage of scripture today and truly meditate on it. If it helps, write it on a notecard or a piece of paper and stick it in your pocket. If you have a hard time picking a passage take the one above, but meditate on something from the Word. Think about it, ponder it, pray about it, study it, then tomorrow take another passage.

The Prayer:
Lord, teach me your statutes. Help me to understand and to walk according to your Word. Help me to truly delight in your Word as the psalmist does. Help me to continually declare your Word, and to meditate on your precepts. In Jesus' name, Amen!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny, I read part of psalms 119 this morning. I so agree with you, many people focus on the sin when they should focus on drawing close to God.

    Which is done through reading the bible, praying, and thinking on God. Great post. Great minds think a like:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true, great minds do think alike :)! I love to hear when one of the scriptures God leads me to use is a confirmation of something God was speaking earlier in someone's life. Thanks for the confirmation!

    ReplyDelete