Saturday, January 3, 2015

A New Way of Looking at New Years

"if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." - 2 Chronicles 7:14

"Ask of Me, and I will give You
The nations for Your inheritance,
And the ends of the earth for Your possession."
Psalm 2:8
 
"Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him,
That glory may dwell in our land."
Psalm 85:9

In the new year we have a tradition to make new year's resolutions. I've written my thoughts on these resolutions back at the end of 2011 with the suggestions of trading our own resolutions for the vision that God has for us in the new year. However there is one issue with these resolutions that I didn't mention in that post. 

These resolutions tend to focus on me.

Okay sometimes my family might be involved or I might have a resolution to spend more time with my friends, but first and foremost the resolutions are about how I can make my life better in the new year. Of course there is an issue with that because as Christians God is constantly challenging us to look outward towards others rather than to ourselves. 

Above you see a few passages about praying for our nation and with them as an inspiration I want to ask you as we are still in the beginning of the new year:

What do you want to see happen in your nation in 2015?
 
Let's expand our vision beyond our own little circle and look at the big picture this year. Rather than praying that God helps us lose weight, find the right spouse, earn more money, or spend more time with family, let's look beyond ourselves and start seeking God to show up in our community, our city, our nation, and in the world! As you answer the question above there's a natural follow up question:
Have you prayed for it to happen?
 
If not then what are you waiting for? 2 Chronicles 7:14 was a promise directly from God to Solomon regarding the Israelites and the temple that Solomon built. However I believe it is also a promise that expands across multiple generations. If we humble ourselves, turn from our sins, and seek His face God has promised to respond! He has promised to show up with forgiveness and healing for the land! If God has promised this then what are we waiting for? It is time for God's people to get on their knees and seek His face! It is time for God's people to pray beyond their ownselves and their own needs. It is time for healing and forgiveness to be poured out upon our land!

No comments:

Post a Comment